Monday, January 4, 2010

Is this love too crazy?

A friend of mine sent me a copy of Crazy Love by Francis Chan to share with a family member, but I read it first....and I am grateful that I did.  

Chan's book is a call to act on Scripture and to pursue the purpose that God has planned for each one of us -- even when it means radically changing your lifestyle or even threatens the safety most of us spend our lives trying to ensure for ourselves and our families.  This book will challenge you to give more - to give sacrificially - in ways you may not have thought possible before.  My favorite chapter is where Chan simply shares brief stories of people who have, and are, living fully for Christ.  It goes well beyond attending service on Sunday and "trying not to cuss."   

Chan's chapter on "safety" as top priority really struck home with me.  "Safety" is ultimately what we want for ourselves and our children, right?  Jay and I want to live in a safe neighborhood, send our children to safe schools, save enough money to retire comfortably.  Above all else, we want to protect each other and our children from physical harm.  When we consider doing something more, it is hard for us to go past the point where we would jeopardize our lifestyle, our health or our lives to serve God.  We need to reprioritize and make sure that safety isn't keeping us from living out Christ's commands.  Isn't living for God and trusting Him to care for you better than living a long, safe life having done little or nothing to impact the world? 

Chan does a great job of describing how service motivated by Love - not obligation - will drive you further than you ever dreamed and fulfill your life in ways you haven't even imagined.  Paul writes in Acts 20:24, "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me - the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." 

Father, in all of our actions and decisions, may we remember this ultimate task and be grateful that we are able to help fulfill it.  Help us to fully trust You so that we won't hold back our talent, our possessions or our love from others in the name of safety or fear.  Fill our hearts with urgency and courage so that we will fulfill the purpose you have for us every single day.

No comments: