Sunday, October 19, 2008

Book Review: The Shack

I recently read The Shack by William Paul Young. A lot of people are talking about this book right now - it's a "crossover" book - and I had to find out why! I do agree with the consensus that it is an exceptional book and is definitely worth reading. Instead of just saying, "It's amazing," I wanted to share why I feel that way about it:

The "shack" is a place that each of us have. It's where the darkest parts of our lives - past experiences, present struggles or future fears - reside.

Most of us like to pretend it's not there most of the time. And we don't tell ANYONE about it. But, God is there. He's everywhere. I knew that before I read The Shack, but this book gives that Presence a look and a feel that brings it to the surface. It's undeniable and it's powerful.

In The Shack, the main character, Mack, takes a literal visit to his personal Shack and gets to have a face-to-face conversation with God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit in the flesh. It makes you think, "Wow...I wish I could have a face-to-face conversation with God!" Then, it hits you. You can. He's right there. Always.

And, He loves you!

The Love of God is the centerpiece of the book's message. The Shack, through sharing Mack's familar doubts, fears and anger, demonstrates the tangible peace that a relationship with God provides.

It's all about RELATIONSHIP. Not RELIGION and RITUALS. And you can start from anywhere...from right where you are.

Like a lot of readers, there are some parts of this book that made me squirm a little bit. But, this book deals with the most difficult and profound subjects possible. Subjects that every living human being has or will consider and that even the most learned scholars have debated for thousands of years. I commend the author for tackling this.


I think that the book will have the most impact for those who consider themselves "churched" yet discontent. They will read it and find the God they have been looking for all along. They knew He was there, but He was hidden behind all of the "stuff" we try to organize around Him. Then, reread the Bible, and see what you couldn't see before: "the Way, the Truth, and the Life."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved The Shack! I sent it straight to Tamara when I was done with it. I think your audience of the "churched" but discontent is spot in. I'm ready to read it again.

BTW - I have a new idea . . .Pimp Your Blog . . . http://momoftwo477.blogspot.com/2008/10/pimp-your-blog.html

Come see!

Unknown said...

You've been pimped!

Unknown said...

Hey Marie!! It's great to hear from you! It looks like you guys are busy doing lots of great things for the Lord. Keep in touch!
Allison

tamblair said...

Kinda humerous to see the words "pimped" and "Lord" together on one screen. Not a likely combo. Anyway - I enjoyed the book as well and found it very thought provoking. It forced me to think outside the box, and I realized that I am the one who puts the limits on what God can do in my life. Glad to see you are doing well!!